The Tucherschloss

Das Tucherschloss in Nürnberg. Stahlstich um 1854. (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Porträt- und Ansichtensammlung)


Sites of Nuremberg:

Medieval and early modern Nuremberg was considered a free imperial city, an independent city-state, until its absorption into the Bavarian kingdom in 1806. As an independent city-state, Nuremberg was free to rule itself without being subordinate to the surrounding territorial leaders. The only one they had to answer to was the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. 
In Nuremberg a closed caste of merchant families, termed ‘patricians’, ruled the city. (The term patrician comes from ancient Rome, meaning either a member of the upper class or a hereditary title given to the aristocracy.) Only members of these families could be part of the city council. These families were strictly documented and numbered between 37 and 42.

One family name that has survived this time period as more than just a street name or a plaque on a monument is the name Tucher. The Tucher family can trace its roots back to the 14th century and are still present in the Nuremberg landscape today. The first Tuchers were probably in service to the count of Castell and the first documented family member joined the Nuremberg city council in 1340.
A couple of good marriages here, a few successful business decisions there and the stance and the assets of the family grew. The early modern period saw the Tucher family as one of the most influential and richest families in Nuremberg, their businesses spreading throughout Europe.

During this time period, many of the merchant patrician families in Nuremberg withdrew from their businesses, opting for the lifestyle of the landed nobility. The Tuchers also owned quite a bit of property around Nuremberg but the Tucherschloss in Nuremberg was the main residence. Let’s take a closer look.
Built between 1533 and 1544, this Schloss on the Hirschelgasse is the inspiration for the home of the fictitious character from The Master and the Maid, Sebald Tucher. The building was for the most part destroyed in WW2 but was rebuilt in the sixties and now houses a museum. It is open to the public. An exhibition of photos of the war destruction and the reconstruction is on display until April 2016. 

Here’s a link to their website:  https://museen.nuernberg.de/tucherschloss/




No comments:

Post a Comment